Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Tracheomalacia – what are treatments available?

Tracheomalacia – what are treatments available?

Patient: My 5 month was dx with tracheamalasia and he keeps colds uri why? also during my pregnancy i had dm and was admitted to the hospital for induction dt having low amonic fluid i was in the hospitaslfor 48 hours before he was born with no amonic fluid and during my delivery his heart started dropping could this be a factor

Doctor: It is difficult to tell whether your child’s tracheomalacia was caused due to conditions that your child was exposed to during birth. Tracheomalacia is characterised by an abnormal collapse of the tracheal walls. It may be due to a congenital defect or may be associated with conditions such as mediastinal masses, vascular rings, asthma, chronic lung disease of infancy, gastroesophageal reflux, or other forms of chronic aspiration. Tracheomalacia is usually benign, and no treatment is required other than observation. If the child is having difficulty with retained secretions, chest physiotherapy may be helpful. If gastroesophageal reflux is present, appropriate pharmacotherapy should be considered.Systemic corticosteroids are used when the baby has increased symptoms during an acute respiratory tract infection. Continuous positive airway pressure or bilevel positive airway pressure provided by means of tight-fitting face or nasal mask, endotracheal tube, or tracheostomy tube can provide relief from severe obstruction. I hope the information helps, take care.