September 24, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Tramadol & Aleve and knee pain and swelling

Tramadol & Aleve and knee pain and swelling

Patient: I take Tramadol 50mg for pain ad tonight I’m wanting to know if I can take Aleve with it?

Symptoms: Swollen knee and tenderness and pain

Doctor: Hello,If you have been already on Tramadol which is an opioid analgesic then adding Aleve would not potentiate its ac tion in terms of pain relief. Instead if you find the pain relief inadequate then you may increase the dose to 100mg once or twice a day for few days to look for the effects.If there has been inflammation and swelling , then Aleve being an NSAIDS may help in reducing the inflammation but it is not suitable for chronic knee pain secondarily to osteoarthritic changes which is possibly the cause in your case.I hope i have answered your query in detail ,wishing you good health,regards