Trampoline jumping and knee problems

Q: Is jumping on a trampoline bad for someone with a bad knee? I am being trained to work outdoors, and I don't know if trampolining would worsen it or strengthen it. Was just curious on what I should do.

A:   It depends on what “bad knee” means, if you have problems with ligaments, meniscus, patella or arthritis like issues, but in any case the possible problem with the repeated use of the trampoline may be related to the Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs), which are injuries that happen when too much stress is placed on a part of the body, resulting in inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle strain, or tissue damage. This stress generally occurs from repeating the same movements over and over again, with no enough healing time so they are also called “overuse syndrome”. Every time that you exceed the guidelines to practice safely any sport or activity and you go beyond your own limits or capacities you are exposing to overuse injuries, keep this in mind. It is very important before to do any exercise or straining physical activity to have an initial warm-up and stretching of the muscles, also when you start an exercise routine the demands have to be progressive and gradual, review your training techniques and the time and days that you dedicate to exercise must be consistent and regular to avoid injuries.