Transmission of bacterial infections

Patient : Is Gonorrhea/Chlamydia most easily transmitted via fluid from male to female? Is this the most common form of transmission? I've been told that it can be transmitted if the infection is on other parts of the genital region, however how is it most easily transmitted from male to female during intercourse?
Symptoms:  Burning urination, discharge, delayed urination, weak urine flow
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query to . Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea are the most common form of sexually tra nsmitted infections which are the primary causes for post sexual activity- urinary tract infection. Though the most common route of transmission is through the vaginal route and women are more commonly affected from an infected male partner , but the incidence is growing substantially among homosexual men as well. There are other routes or transmission like pharyngeal or oral sex and rectal transmission after anal sex. So it is generally related to the types of sexual activity performed. It can be hence contracted from an infected partner to the recipient either through vaginal , oral or anal sex. Hence these are the commonest areas where chlamydia and gonorrhea can be isolated from. The principal reason that females are more likely to be affected as compared to men is because of shorter urethra as compared to men and decreased resistance.So,the cause is not the vaginal fluid or the ejaculate but the shorter female urethra which makes them more susceptible fro the infection. I hope i have answered your query in detail, wishing you good health, regards

Comments / Follow Ups

Patient: Got it, thank you! How is the bacteria transmitted from an infected male to female? Is it mostly through only infected fluid being released in the female?
Doctor: It can be transmitted through oral sex or vaginal sex both from an infected male. it harbors the urethra and not necessarily female is the carrier.

Related Q&A

Q: Are you able to look at a photo of my friends lower body - and tell me if you see any worrying skin areas - such as e...

Q: I fave a few small blood blister type bumps on the edge of the head of my penis. Can't figure out what it is called. ...

Q: Hi. I am a 56 yr old female. I went to the doctor because I was having a little discharge, no noticeable odor, (to me...

Q: I have a red patch beneath the penile head under the foreskin, and there is a red spot at the lower end of the penile...

Q: Hi Doctor, I am 37 year old male and I have been in a relationship for 7 years. I had an sti test at the start of the...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon