Transmitting hsv 1 through spit

Patient

Q: Can you get hsv 1 from someone with a cold sore if their spit gets on/in your mouth from them talking?

Symptoms:  Off and on sore burning throat, headache, low grade fever, fatigue
Doctor

A:   Thank you for contacting ask the doctor. Herpes simplex virus type 1 is the usual cause of oral infections and Herpes simplex virus type 2 a common cause of genital infections. Both of these virus types are equally infectious & contagious. Yes HSV 1 can get transmitted from saliva if the infected saliva reached your mucous membrane. since you have a history of coming in contact with a HSV 1 infected individual, I recommend a visit to a physician to get a physical examination & Tissue scrapping for tzank smear for the confirmation. usually the Physical examination leaves no doubt of the diagnosis. treatment would include pharmacological measure for the fever and plenty of fluid intakes. In case of development of sores , local anesthetic agents can be given to relieve the pain and discomfort. The course of treatment would be decided by the physician depending on the severity of the disease.