Transobturator Tape Recall

Patient

Q: I am scheduled to have Transobturator Tape Surgery and have recently seen ads about a recall on the mesh fibers used in this procedure - can you advise?

Doctor

A:   The transobturator approach for the treatment of urinary incontinence in woman has similar complication rate to that of earlier surgical techniques while providing equal or better results. However, recent evidence seems to show issues with a specific brand of surgical tape/mesh used in the procedure. For obvious reasons, I do not wish to name said brands as I do not have any independent scientific evidence to verify these claims. Instead I urge you to speak with your surgeon about the brand he/she intends to use in performing your procedure. It is quite likely that your surgeon will NOT be using any of the brands that have reportedly had problems in the past. But there is no harm is asking.