Trauma to Scrotum After Vasectomy and Fertility

Patient

Q: My husband had a Vasectomy three years ago. He had his all clear tests and everything has been fine since then. It is very important that no pregnancy occurs. Is there any chance that him getting hit or kicked in the testicles would "knock something loose" and mess up the vasectomy making him fertile again? I find myself worrying about his "area" a lot and I feel silly for thinking this way but I want to know. Thank You.

Doctor

A:   Being hit in the testicles should not affect your husband’s vasectomy. He remains infertile. There is a less than 1% failure rate for this procedure. The semen should be assessed after the procedure and prior to stopping other methods of contraception to ensure infertility. The fact that he had the procedure done three years ago means there is no need to be concerned.