Travel advice for immunizations for Thailand

Patient

Q: I am going to Thailand next month. I am an extremely healthy active 72 year old woman on no medication and no health problems. Do you recommend getting any shots for this vicinity?

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Very nice to know that you are extremely healthy active 72 years old woman on no medication and have no health problems at all.
Note that you are going to Thailand next month and wants recommendation regarding getting any shots for this vicinity. I also understand that you live in Reton, US.
- All the routine vaccinations (measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot) are not needed due to your age as they are needed for the children.
Yearly flu shot and the other vaccines as will be recommended as per the endemics, go on at the time of travel will be needed
- CDC recommends only two vaccines for most travelers and they are for Hepatitis A and Typhoid due to the prevailing conditions in Thailand.
Of course if one avoids the contaminated foods and beverages, and if these are not compulsory as per the US laws, you may not need it although they are highly recommended.
Others on the website are not required by you hence I am not mentioning.
Please go through the link I am providing.. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/thailand.

Wish you a happy journey
Hope this helpful,
Regards.