Travel Vaccines

Patient

Q: I'm looking into doing some travelling in the Pacific area of Asia. There are some required shots I need to get. I only have a small window before I leave, 3 weeks. Hep A and B, Tetanus, and Typhoid is what I need. Is this enough time to get my shots, or should I have needed more time to get them?

Doctor

A:   You should be fine with the tetanus shot (can be taken any time) and the typhoid shot (taken 10 days before travel). For hepatitis A and B there is a combination vaccine available called Twinrix that can be administered in a rapid dose schedule of 4 doses, at 0, 7, 21 days and a fourth dose (booster dose) is taken after 1 year. So you should be able to complete the full initial dosage before starting out on your travels.

You should be fine with the tetanus shot (taken any time) and the typhoid shot (taken 10 days before travel). For hepatitis A and B there is a combination vaccine available called Twinrix that can be administered in a rapid dose schedule of 4 doses, at 0, 7, 21 days and a fourth dose (booster dose) is taken after 1 year. So you should be able to complete the full initial dosage before starting out on your travels.