Travelling in SE Asia and taking Doxycyclin as an antimalarial

Patient: Travelling in SE Asia and taking Doxycyclin as an anti malarial. Been taking it for 3 months and supposed to be taking it for the next 4. Severe sunburn and blisters, clay coloured stools and today I ve noticed dark coloured blood. Should I stop taking them? What about the malaria risk? Thanks.

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.Here are some side effects of Doxycycline:-abdominal or stomach tenderness-black , tarry stools-bloating-clay-colored stools-cough-dark urine-decreased appetite-diarrhea-diarrhea, watery and severe, which may also be bloody-difficulty with swallowing-dizziness-fast heartbeat-feeling of discomfort-fever-headache-hives or welts, itching, or rash-increased thirst-inflammation of the joints-blistersStop taking the medication. The risk of malaria is much lesser than that of side effects of medications. The negative effect of medications can last a lifetime, but you will get cured of Malaria. Consult a local Doctor if possible and try to contact the prescribing Doctor as well.I hope this will help you. Have a nice day.