Travelling in SE Asia and taking Doxycyclin as an antimalarial

Patient

Q: Travelling in SE Asia and taking Doxycyclin as an anti malarial. Been taking it for 3 months and supposed to be taking it for the next 4. Severe sunburn and blisters, clay coloured stools and today I ve noticed dark coloured blood. Should I stop taking them? What about the malaria risk? Thanks.

Doctor

A:   Hi
Thank you for the question.

Here are some side effects of Doxycycline:
-abdominal or stomach tenderness
-black, tarry stools
-bloating
-clay-colored stools
-cough
-dark urine
-decreased appetite
-diarrhea
-diarrhea, watery and severe, which may also be bloody
-difficulty with swallowing
-dizziness
-fast heartbeat
-feeling of discomfort
-fever
-headache
-hives or welts, itching, or rash
-increased thirst
-inflammation of the joints
-blisters

Stop taking the medication. The risk of malaria is much lesser than that of side effects of medications. The negative effect of medications can last a lifetime, but you will get cured of Malaria. Consult a local Doctor if possible and try to contact the prescribing Doctor as well.

I hope this will help you. Have a nice day.