Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Treated thalassemic person wants to get married.

Treated thalassemic person wants to get married.

Patient: I had Mediterranean Anemia when I was 4, and went through bone morrow transplantation procedure which succeeded. I am now 26 and want to get married. My concern is that although, I was treated, my sexual chromosomes are still affected. Is that correct?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for posting your query to “Ask The Doctor”.There is a minimum possibility that your sex chromosomes s will change after bone marrow transplant.However, you may carry out HLA chromosomal study to verify the same.You might be knowing about genetic transmission of thalassemia. Hence, careful decision is necessary.you are advised to attend genetic counselling before taking any decision.Wish you a good health.