Treating a yeast infection during pregnancy

Patient

Q: What can I take to treat a yeast infection when pregnant?

Doctor

A:   Yeast infections or vaginal candidiasis are common in pregnant women. Higher level of estrogen during pregnancy causes your vagina to produce more glycogen, making it even easier for yeast to grow there. Symptoms of vaginal candidiasis include Itchiness, irritation, soreness, burning, and redness in your vagina and labia, odorless often creamy white vaginal discharge (resembling a cottage cheese) and burning sensation during urination. Over-the-counter antifungal vaginal cream or suppository containing clotrimazole is safe during pregnancy. The treatment should be continued for 7 days. It may take a few days of treatment before you begin to feel some relief. Also cotton or moisture-wicking underwear and loose fitting clothing, avoiding soap in the genitals and keeping the area dry will help relive the symptoms.