Treating Endometriosis Noninvasively - Weird Clottish Discharges

Patient

Q: I'm 39 yo, no children, no pregnancies. My gyn has suggested endometriosis, and the symptoms are definitely there. I've had severe cramps and lots of clotting for several years. Have lots of scarring from PID from 20 years ago. Hubby and I have also being trying to conceive for 2 years. FSH no. around 6, as of last year. Had an HSG in '09. Tubal blockage in rt tube with hydrosalpinx. Also have retroverted uterus. I'm frustrated because as a proponent of nutritional, natural healing, it's hard to find a gyn who promotes prevention and natural healing. They always go straight for meds and or surgery solutions without even trying to get to the root cause of my problem. I even switched to an osteopathic gyn, but she too immediately suggests surgery and meds. I contend that if no doc will get to the root cause, then surgery n meds will only be a temporary fix, and I'll be right back in the office eventually with the same problems, having to get more meds and or add'l surgeries. Infertility specialist wants to do Dx lap. Regular ob wants to do D and C. Last month I saved one of the clot thingies that discharged during menses. It was fleshy like and quite different from my regular clots. Thing is, I've changed my diet drastically, no white flour, white sugar and mostly a gluten free diet. AND! I've been doing castor oil packs, and since then I've been getting at least one or two of these things discharged during each period. Gyn suggests submucosal fibroids or polyps, but after sending it to pathology, they said it was inconclusive and they couldn't determine anything about it. Which I found weird. They usually have a stem attached. I discharged another one two days ago. I'm attaching a picture. I don't want to have a D and C to remove stuff that's discharging on its own. I'm afraid surgery will lead to more scarring, which I cannot afford. Please help! Any advice about the image or what more I could do to help endometriosis without surgery.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Your fears and concerns about undergoing any surgical procedure is noted. Indeed there are risks to any surgery, including loss of life in rare circumstances. However, in a case such as yours, when there are several differential diagnoses to the possible cause of your symptoms, it would be difficult to treat without further invasive medical testing, or procedures. Endometriosis is the presence of endometrial tissue in areas of the reproductive system other than the uterus. This can produce pain, pressure and bleeding on a monthly basis as this tissue will be have exactly as uterine endometrium in response to monthly hormonal cycles. Medications at presence can only treat the symptoms of this and progression of the disease, but offering a complete cure may only be done by surgical procedure. If you are still very scared about agreeing for surgery, we totally support you in seeking a second or third opinion from another gyenecologist. Sometimes, having another doctor look at your condition can illumine alternative treatment options which where not offered to you by your previous physician.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com, we wish you a rapid recovery.