Treatment for cough since past 2 weeks

Patient

Q: Hey i have a very strong cough since two weeks . whats the best treatment ? thank you very much

Doctor

A:   There are a number of causes for cough. A common reason would be upper respiratory tact infection. The majority of respiratory tract infections are caused by viruses which do not require antibiotics or treatment from a doctor.  They are best managed with plenty of fluids, plenty of rest and sleep. However, since your symptoms are continuing for a week you may benefit with an antibiotic and an antitussive for which you will need to see your doctor.