Treatment For Cystic Acne

Patient

Q: Please suggest treatment for acne(cystic acne) which can cure it permanently right from the root?is that can be cured by benzoyl peroxide.

Doctor

A:   The most preferred treatment of choice in cystic acne would be isotretinoin (accutane). Isotretinoin decreases gland size in the skin thereby reducing the secretions and inhibiting the growth of bacteria. It is generally used once or twice a day for 15-20 weeks and has a success rate of around 90%.
However, there are some issues with using isotretinoin. Isotretinoin (accutane) can cause birth defects in the developing fetus of a pregnant woman. Therefore if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, You should not use this drug!
I would advice you to use two effective forms of birth control 1 month before starting this medicine and for 1 month after treatment ends. Your doctor will perform pregnancy tests before and while taking this medication. There are also other side effects that include allergic rash, itching; shortness of breath; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat. In the end, isotretinoin is an effective drug for treating cystic acne provided that you do not get pregnant.