Treatment for Urinary tract infection.

Q: I think I might have a kidney infection. I have sharp pain in bladder and urethra. I have tender abdominal pain and my right side is tender. I don't have fever or vomiting. I am taking Amoxicillin I have at home as I am trying to avoid an ER visit. Is there anything else I can do to help this or should I go to ER? My pain isn't as severe as it was last night.

A:   I realize your concern about possible UTI. In my opinion, your symptoms don’t suggest Pyelonephritis or Kidney infection. Probably cystitis or Bladder infection might be causing them.
Let me tell you that which drugs are used and for how long depend on your overall health and the bacteria found in your urine. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic that is not too effective for fighting the most common entities that cause urinary tract infection. Since you already started it, I would suggest you to finish the 7 or 10 days to avoid resistance and if you still have your symptoms, consult your PCP. You might need a prescription with another antibiotic such as Fluoroquinolones. In the meantime, drink plenty of fluids and urinate frequently. I wish you a prompt recovery.