x
177 Physicians Online

Question:

Treatment of Bunions

My 12yr old has had bunions from birth. They have gotten worse and I need advice. We went to a ortho dr and he said 10 weeks of recovery 6 of which she would be non weight bearing. I feel for her age this is extreme. I know there are tons of bunion surgeries out there and there has to be one that is good where she can at least be in a boot for 8 weeks or so and not off her feet for 6 weeks. she is 12 and for her that is like giving up life for 6 weeks. please help me I love my daughter and I just do not know what to do. Maybe we just need to see a foot dr that that is all they do.

Answer:

You are certainly entitled to get a second opinion and you may seek one from either another orthopedic surgeon or a podiatrist (foot doctor). However, it is unlikely that you will get a much different assessment and recommended treatment. Your daughter will have to stay off her feet for six weeks after surgery to ensure proper healing.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA