Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Treatment of chronic back pain

Treatment of chronic back pain

Patient: Hello there, I will start by giving you my background information, in case it may help. I am 22 years old, and have had chronic pain in the upper back, and down the back of my legs for about 4 years. In regards to treatments, I have been on Nsaids, and Opiates… muscle relaxants too I am wondering basically if my back is “done” or is there hope for me ? and if so, what would you reccommened

Doctor: In my opinion the back pain seems to be related to upper back and leg muscle stress or strain. You may try sleeping on a flat and relatively harder bed with no pillows to rest your head. Soft mattress may be a possible cause for chronic back pain. Aerobic exercise or walking for at least 30 minutes daily may help increase blood circulation and improve muscle strength to reduce pain. You may also try physical therapy which usually provides better outcome in cases of back and leg pain.