Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Treatment of Constipation in Infant.

Treatment of Constipation in Infant.

Patient: Hello, Ive a 6 months old baby that star weaning a few weeks ago,but since a couple weeks ago her stools become really hard and dry also she before weaning she had around 2 a 3 dirty nappies a day and now she makes once in 4 days. She usually has baby porridge for breakfast,and has veg or fruit at dinner,I stopped with banana a couple weeks but didn’t help. Oh she keeps breastfeeding,she looks happy but sometimes concerned when she stays so many days without stools. thank you

Doctor: Infant constipation is the passage of hard, dry bowel movements and often begins when a baby transitions from breast mil k to formula or begins eating solid foods. I would recommend certain dietary modification before consulting your doctor. Offer your baby a daily serving of water in addition to usual feedings. Start with 2 to 4 ounces (about 60 to 120 milliliters). Try more or less as you gauge your baby’s response to the water. Remember, though, the water doesn’t replace normal feedings with breast milk or formula. If water doesn’t seem to help, offer your baby a daily serving of apple, prune or pear juice in addition to usual feedings. Offer barley cereal instead of rice cereal. To ease the passage of hard stools, consider applying a small amount of water-based lubricant to your baby’s anus. Don’t use mineral oil, laxatives or enemas to treat infant constipation. If your baby is struggling and it’s been a few days since his or her last bowel movement, it might help to place an infant glycerin suppository into your baby’s anus. I hope this helps, take care.