Treatment of Extremely Greasy Hair

Patient

Q: My very long hair turns greasy, from the scalp to 10cm from roots, very soon, even just after washing. I did not have such problems before and I mean it, my hair turns greasy as soon as my hair dries up. My hair length is longer than waist length. My scalp also itches. This is the third day since I noticed. What can be done and why it occurs out of a sudden?

Doctor

A:   Greasy hair could be the result of increased sebum production by the scalp. There may not be a definite cause and these occurrences can be the result of both lifestyle factors and genetic predisposition. If your hair is greasy on a daily basis, I would suggest that you wash your hair regularly, avoid cosmetic hair products, avoid excess combing or brushing of hair and regularly massage your scalp while you shampoo your hair.