Treatment Of persistent Dandruff Infection

Patient: Hi I have dandruff like white scaly particles on my scalp. I used different anti-dandruff shampoes but none of them worked. It is slowly preading to my ears. And, I have hard painless bumps on the center of my both hands (palm). Is it dandruff or some other disease? Please help me. Thanks

Doctor: Several factors can cause a person to develop persistent dandruff. One of the main culprits is a fungus called Pityrospo rum ovale. For unknown reasons, an overgrowth of Pityrosporum ovale can occur in some people. This leads to increased irritation and skin cell shedding on the scalp. Certain skin conditions are also known to cause persistent dandruff. These include eczema, an inflammatory skin disorder, and psoriasis, the buildup of dry, red patches of skin. Medicated shampoos (shampoos that contain specific anti-infective and antifungal ingredients to treat conditions affecting the skin and scalp) are effective in treating persistent dandruff. Medicated shampoos containing Zinc pyrithione, Ketoconazole and Selenium sulfide may be used. Along with treatment, making a few small lifestyle changes like shampooing hair regularly can help keep fungus populations under control.