Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Treatment of scars due to lipoma removal

Treatment of scars due to lipoma removal

Patient: Dermatology question: I had small lipomas removed from each of my legs. Unfortunately, they both left dark discolorations. I am now too self-conscious to wear dresses or skirts because the dark spots are noticeable and unattractive. Is there a cosmetic that will either fade the discoloration or cover it?

Doctor: Treatment of acne scars depend on the severity of the scars. Mild scars may benefit with topical application of creams l ike MEDERMA. More severe scars may require microdermabrasion, chemical peeling to hasten the recovery process. Laser treatment, skin surgery and grafting are the options available for the removal of resistant scars. A healthy diet and exercise may also help in the regeneration process.