Treatment of twisted knee injury

Q: About four days ago I fell and twisted my knee. It has been swolen since then prety bad. It hurts when I bend it or if I jump or put too much weight on it. And when I sit down for more than five minutes it tightens up so when I try to walk I bearly can. I walk with a limp nowe and when I bend it, it makes a crackling noise. I have been putting ice on it and taking ib prophen but nothing has really changed. Should I see a docter or will it just heel over time?

A:   You seem to have injured some ligament of the knee joint, which is best managed by rest, ice application, firm elastic bandage for support and elevation of the limb above the heart level (may place a few pillows under the leg) to reduce the swelling. Although it may take atleast a few weeks for the healing to occur, it would be best to consult a doctor for further investigation in to the extent of injury and additional treatment to avoid any complications and improper healing.