Treatment options for Pilonidal Sinus.

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor, I recently discovered that I was infected with Pilonidal Sinus. I am 19 year old male at roughly 205 pounds. I went to my family doctor to see her opinion on the matter and almost instantly she said surgery. Then I went to see a specialist about this and he told me that in my case, instead of the path going upwards, it went downwards closer to my anal. Now I am just curious because everywhere I am reading, the people that were infected with this have pus come out of it. In my case I never had that, all it does is bleed when I go the washroom do take a poop, and very rarely it bleeds just a little after that. So I am wondering if I really need a surgery for this as it seems that it is not infected. Or is it building up inside? Thanks

Doctor

A:   An uncomplicated pilonidal sinus, such as yours seems to be, can be treated non-surgically. Repeated injections of phenol into the sinus can help it to heal. This should be done by an experienced medical professional. You should not that this form of treatment has a relatively high failure with approximately 27% of persons having a recurrence. If this non-surgical treatment fails then surgical excision of the sinus tract is required.