Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Treatment options in Peyronie’s disease

Treatment options in Peyronie’s disease

Patient: I have had Peyronies disease for as long as I can remember, mine faces the floor at almost a 90 angle. so my question is if there is somehow this can be fixed so it would be straight?

Doctor: Peyronie’s disease is fibrous scarring or plaques within the tunica albuginea of the corporal bodies of the penis that m ay produce curvature of the penis with erection. This could be due to microtrears and trauma occurring during intercourse and rarely autoimmune conditions like scleroderma and systemic lupus. Treatment is usually conducted under the care of a specialist urologist. Initially the treatment is conservative, focusing on reassurance and observation. Oral treatments with vitamin E, aminobenzoate potassium, tamoxifen, verapamil and interferon alfa-2b can also be considered. Extracoporeal shockwave therapy (shock waves are used to break up the plaque) has also be tried. Surgical therapies include penile plication, plaque excision or incision and grafting and penile prosthesis implantation.