Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Trouble breathing and fast heartbeat.

Trouble breathing and fast heartbeat.

Patient: I am a 28 year old woman with hypothyroidism, and epilepsy. I have been having some trouble when going to sleep. About 2 weeks ago, I woke up and had lost control of my hands and fingers- this lasted for about an hour. I was extremely confused and my heart was pounding. I wake up shortly after I fall asleep because I am not breathing, once awake for a few seconds I am able to catch my breath. This will happen anywhere between 5-20 times a night. My husband says I have had a few episodes in my sleep where I am gasping loudly for air. I recently saw my neurologist- she told me that she doesn’t think this is related to my epilepsy.

Symptoms: Breathing difficulty, fast heartbeat

Doctor: Hello.Welcome to Ask The Doctor.I understand your concern.I suppose, you should get a cardiac evaluation done.You are hypothyroid and that is a risk factor for cardiac disease.In such scenario, I would advise an ECG and a Chest Xray. This will give an idea that pain is cardiac in nature or not.I would advise you following:1. Treadmill Test2. ECHO.If any abnormality is found, then an angiography should be performed.Share my opinion with your Doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy