Trouble Breathing at Home Today, Never Happened Before

Patient

Q: Hi! I'm having a lot of trouble breathing today, but only in my house. I woke up in my room around midday today and went downstairs to eat breakfast, and that's when I began noticing how hard it was to breathe. It was just annoying at first, but taking breaths quickly became quite a chore, and I began wheezing and coughing. After about an hour it began to calm down a little, but it was still hard to breathe. I took a walk for about 5 hours, and I was breathing fine after the first 5-10 minutes of it, but when I got home I immediately began having the same problem. I don't think it's my anxiety, because my episodes are never anything like this, even when I have a bad panic attack. I did have asthma as a kid, but only used rescue medicine for a few months. I don't know if it's allergies or not; my dad has trouble breathing at night sometimes because of his allergies, but this is the first time I've had an all-day affair like this. Sometimes breathing is a little hard at night, but never any wheezing before now. Could someone please help me figure out what this is? Thanks in advance (: If it matters, I am a 16-year-old male, 5 ft. 1, and 140-ish lbs, which is slightly overweight according to BMI charts, but I am still moderately active.

Symptoms:  Trouble breathing, coughing, wheezing, stuffy nose
Doctor