Trouble moving my bowels after my surgery!

Patient

Q: I had surgery 5 days ago to remove ovarian cysts. I haven't moved my bowels since a day before the surgery. I have been passing gas alot but still no bowel movement. I have taken stool softeners and Ex-lax® to try to help me go. But nothing is helping. I feel like i have to go but when i get to the bathroom i have no urge to go. Why cant i move my bowels? Is it normal for me to not be able to go still?

Doctor

A:   It is normal to have some delay in return to normal bowel function after being subjected to general anesthesia. The time for return to bowel movement varies greatly between individuals. The fact that you are passing gas suggest that all is well and it is just a matter of time before you will have a bowel movement. I urge you to exercise a little more patience.