Trying Elavil for depression and anxiety

Patient

Q: I have interstitial cystitis. I also take Wellbutrin for depression and anxiety. I have started experiencing extreme exhaustion and headaches. The Wellbutrin doesn't seem to work anymore. Would it be benificial to try Elavil? I've heard it helps both IC and depression and anxiety as well as headaches.

Doctor

A:   Elavil is in a group of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. There could be significant drug interactions of elavil with your current medications and so it is recommended to talk to your doctor before trying this medication. There may be respiratory depression, seizures, blurred vision, urine retention etc. Best would be to work together with your doctor for suitable treatment with minimum side effects for your depression and anxiety.