Trying to Conceive

Patient: Hello. I went off my birth control on May 13, 2009. My husband and I were going to try for a baby and we didn’t wait 3 months after going off the pill like some doctors recommend. I got my period on May 15th and in June on June 12th. It never even came in July. I got it in August on the 1st and then again on the 16th. Now I have it in September, it came on the 6th. The flow is never really heavy. It is light and doesn’t really get much when I put in a tampon. I am just wondering if this is normal, if this is how my body is adjusting to not being on birth control or if there is something more serious?

Doctor: You do not mention how long you had been on birth control and what form of birth control you used.  It is important to u understand that the most common forms of birth control (oral contraceptives) work by regulating menses and preventing ovulation.When deciding to come off of birth control, one can stop at any time and it does not need to be tapered like other medications.  The important thing to understand is that your body will now begin to ovulate and produce its own hormones after not doing so for a long time. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months for your cycles to return to the same regularity as before you were on the pill.I hope this helps