Trying to conceive again after miscarriage

Patient

Q: Over the weekend I had a miscarriage when I was 5 weeks pregnant. I have been to the doctor and my Hcg levels are back down to under 5. The doctor advised to wait until after my next cycle to try again but didn't really give any reasons other than "to give your body a change to get back to normal". Is it necessary to wait to try again? Also when is it safe to have protected sex again? If I'm not bleeding anymore and my levels are back down is it okay to? Thanks!

Doctor

A:   Making the decision to try for another pregnancy after miscarriage can be difficult. It is but natural to try to get pregnant after the terrible loss. There is no perfect amount of time to wait before trying to conceive again. Many doctors advise a gap of a few months before trying to get pregnant because it gives time for the uterus to recover and for the endometrial lining to become strong and healthy again. It may be safe to conceive after two or three normal menstrual periods.