Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Trying to conceive naturally

Trying to conceive naturally

Patient: Hi, i am 29 years old and i am trying to fall pregnant but its not happening. my fiance and i have been trying for over two years now. he has had a baby before and i have never so i guess i am the weak link. i have done an HSG and there was nothing abnormal. that blue liquid showed well on my tubes. i have also used chlomid and still nothing. what could be wrong and how can i help myself on ths,.

Doctor: I understand your concern about possible infertility, which is not being able to get pregnant despite having frequent, u nprotected sex for at least a year.Many of the risk factors for both male and female infertility are the same. Age. After about age 32, a womans fertility potential gradually declines. Men and women who smoke tobacco may reduce their chances of achieving a pregnancy and reduce the possible benefit of fertility treatment, infertility often is due to a sedentary lifestyle and being overweight. In addition, a mans sperm count may be affected if he is overweight. Women at risk include those with eating disorders, such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia, and women following a very low calorie or restrictive diet. Strict vegetarians also may experience infertility problems due to a lack of important nutrients such as vitamin B-12, zinc, iron and folic acid.I will suggest you to consult an Infertility Specialist to rule out the cause first, Certainly Clomid might be useful stimulating Ovulation, there are other medications that would help also but you will need to be evaluated first and your doctor might also teach you on how to know when you are ovulating according to your basal temperature. There are also other more complex treatments that could be tried as well, but first is preferred to try all the medical treatments first. I wish you a successful pregnancy.