Trying to conceive while on pentazocine

Patient

Q: I want to conceive but i use sosegon for lower back pain...i want to know if use of sosegon affects pregnancy...or prevents from conceiving?????

Doctor

A:   Sosegon (Pentazocine) was not found to be teratogenic in animal studies. Pentazocine has been shown to cross the human placenta. Use should be avoided during labor and delivery of premature infants. Abstinence syndromes in the newborn have been reported after long-term use of pentazocine during pregnancy. Other adverse effects in the newborn have been reported following abuse of pentazocine during pregnancy; these effects may be due to pentazocine, other drugs abused, the mother's lifestyle, or a combination of all factors.