Trying to get pregnant

Q: Whats the best way to get pregnant with only one tube? can i get pregnant every month or just bi monthly? i lost my tube with an ectopic pregnancy and understand i need to be supervised. Just want to know some techniques that might help other than vitamins

A:   The fallopian tubes are the channel through which an egg passes, and they are where the egg is fertilized before traveling to the uterus for implantation. Although getting pregnant with one tube may be more difficult than with both, many women are able to do so within 5-6 months of trying to conceive. The remaining tube is able to access the egg from either ovary so its not very important that the egg is released by the ovary on the same side itself.
Achieving success when trying to get pregnant with one tube depends largely on the fact that both ovaries are functioning well. If your goal is getting pregnant with one tube, it can be helpful to meet with a fertility specialist relatively early on as you start trying to conceive. Th fertility specialist will be able to monitor the egg growth as well assess ovarian function if needed to increase chances of success for you.
Since you are trying to conceive, I would like to emphasise on the fact that the medications you are taking are not absolutely safe in pregnancy. Some research associates use of citalopram, fluoxetine and sertraline with a rare but serious newborn lung problem (persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn, or PPHN) when taken during the last half of pregnancy, as well as heart defects affecting the septum — the wall of tissue that separates the left side of the heart from the right side of the heart. Other rare birth defects have been suggested as a possible risk in some studies, but not others. It is a good thing that you are trying to taper these medicines. This is another thing that you might want to discuss with your fertility specialist.