Trying to get pregnant and have questions about home test

Patient

Q: My husband and I are wanting to start a family. I am currently late for my cycle and I took 2 pregnancy test and both were negative. I have since started spotting, but it is brownish. Could the home pregnancy test have been wrong? When is the best time to take another test? I am 39 and my first pregnancy was a miscarriage at about 6-8 weeks.

Doctor

A:   I understand your worry about home pregnancy tests. Home pregnancy tests are not very accurate and usually might need to be repeated, they give better results after a week from your menses due date.
After 2 to 3 weeks from conception the levels of HCG which is the Pregnancy hormone would be enough to be detected by the test. It is also better to use the first urine of the morning which carries the most concentration.
The bleeding that you noticed could be due your menses or a possible miscarriage. In my opinion I don’t think it could be due to implantation bleeding since this would have happened before your menses due date. I would like you to understand that at your age and due to your miscarriage history, it would be recommended for you to have pregnancy assistance by an Obstetrician/Gynecologist to minimize the risk factors such as miscarriage, high blood pressure, fetal compromise and prepare you for a successful pregnancy.  I wish you the best.