October 21, 2018

Trying to have a kid with irregular periods

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Trying to have a kid with irregular periods

Patient: Hey, I’m kinda new to all this, but I do have a little story and some questions. So, here they go….About 3 years ago I had gotten the implanon removed from my arm. And I had irregular periods before i got it in. While it was in I didn’t have a period at all. Like nothing. After I got it out I had regular periods. It took about a month to kick in for it to all go back normal. But the implanon caused a cyst on my right ovary.Anyways….My boyfriend and I have been trying to have a kid. My last period was in November. we had unprotected sex when I was ovulating. After that, I had no period again. It’s been 4 months since I’ve had a period. But even then we’ve still been trying. So, as of right now all pee tests are negative, my nipples are really sore and have gotten slightly darker, I have clear and white mucus with no smell or anything unusual, I have cramps, I feel hot, my head feels congested, I’m tired, hungry but get full too fast, I’m constipated and I’m pretty sure that’s about it.So, could I be pregnant? Is it my cyst? Or is it something else?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query,It is evident from the history that before implant your menses were irregular and then after 3 years post removal they remained regular for a few months and then you experienced amenorrhoea again. The presence of cysts in ovary in not a result of implant per se but you may be a patient of PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome which includes oligomenorrhoea or delayed menses, hirsutism or excessive bodily hair growth, male pattern of hair distribution and baldness, and multiple cysts innovatory. this is commonly seen in women who are obese and hence have higher insulin resistance which cause anovulation and hence infertility.So unless the insane resistance is controlled, ovulation cannot be established regularly and without ovulation there can be no pregnancy.So it is suggested that you get a hormonal profile done for hyperandrogenemia and ultrasound pelvis to rule out PCOS first. If confirmed then you would have to be placed on oral low dose contraceptive pills to establish hormonal balance and regularisation of menses first. If the pregnancy is desired then ovulation induction techniques may be used to initiate ovulation and help conceiving. Please visit your physician and get a detailed examination done, discuss the options available and then take an informed decision.I hope I have been able to answer your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No