Trying to lose belly fat

Q: HI!!! Im a 13 year old whos trying to lose belly fat in the next four months but not lose too much weight. Any suggestions?

A:   Hi,

Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

You can lose weight by dieting and exercise. I recommend that you aim to reduce the calorie intake by 500 calories. Here are a few guidelines for dieting:
1. Stay away from refined sugars
2. Take unprocessed food like whole grains and fruits rather than bread and fruit juice.
3. Reduce oil intake as much as possible and try to get your oil intake from natural sources like nuts, fish and chicken

Try to exercise vigorously and aim to be pumped and sweating for 30 mins at a time. Do this 3 times a week. Also add in a routine of weight lifting to tone your muscles. If you are not able to lose the weight, please talk to a Doctor.