Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Trying to quit Drinking

Trying to quit Drinking

Patient: I have been drinking around 12 beers a day for the last four years, sometimes up to a case in a day; im 22 years old and im trying to quit! the problem is ive been trying to quit for almost a year now but everytime i get to 2 or almost 3 days my anxiety about seisures and how crappy i feel makes me have a drinki checked online how to quit and for heavy drinkers you can even die from withdrawels so what should i do!?

Symptoms: Delirious, extreme anxiety, cold sweats, and sick feeling

Doctor: Thank you for your question. First of all, we want to commend you for your ability for identifying that you have a drink ing problem and have developed the resolve to quite. Yes, chronic alcoholism can lead to life threatening withdrawal syndrome which if not medically supervised, can lead to death. As a first step in treating your alcohol addiction, you will need to check into a medically supervised detoxification program. Here you will be under 24 hour medical care, to assist you to safely detox, and manage your withdrawal symptoms with specific medications. Depending on the severity of your withdrawal symptoms, you can potentially stay in detox for up to a month. After this is completed, you will need to find a alcohol addiction program to assist you in dealing with the psychological issues that lead you to drink, and help you reconstruct your life in a way that is alcohol free, and learn to manage the times when you are tempted to drink. This is a life long commitment, and will require and immense amount of will power to overcome. We recommend as starting point, to find your alcoholics anonymous group, and get in touch with them. They will provide you with all the support you need during this process. Furthermore, in order to get into a detoxification program you may need to go to your family doctor to be directed accordingly. We wish you all the very best in your recovery.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com