TTC for 5 years now. HELP!!

Patient

Q: I have been trying to conceive for over 5 years now. I have irregular periods. Some are heavy and last 7 days and some are light and only last 3 days. I've also gone 6 months without a period. I have had sever pelvic pains that start in the vaginal area and move to my anus. So bad so, that all I do is sit and wait for the pain to stop. I have skin tags under my arms, and on my neck. I'm 27 and I have acne like a teenager that just hit puberty. My sexual relationship with my husband has taken a hit because I am embarrassed by the hair that i have growing on my stomach, breasts, and chin. When I went to my Gyn, she completely ignored me and told me that I need to lose weight and everything will fix itself. I don't think that this is normal and that it is something that weight loss would fix. What could it be???? Please help!!! I l get more and more depressed everyday, and I feel like less than a woman. I've been married 3 years and haven't been able to give my husband a child.

Symptoms:  Irregular periods, pelvic pain, etc...
Doctor

A:   Hi,
I understand your concern. Irregularities in menstrual cycles can occur due to many causes like lifestyle modifications, polycystic ovary disease, weight changes etc which can cause gonadal hormonal imbalance, thyroid hormonal imbalance, prolactin level changes etc.
These can also affect the fertility.
Increased facial and body hair is called hirsutism which can be seen due to hormonal imbalance in conditions like polycystic ovary disease, increased testosterone levels etc.
To find out the possible cause and to take effective treatment you need evaluation.
So, please do consult your doctor, get examined and go for investigations like ultrasound, gonadal hormonal profile, thyroid hormonal profile, prolactin levels,
free insulin levels, free testosterone levels, hemoglobin and blood sugar levels estimation etc.
With this workup the possible cause of your irregular periods and infertility can be identified and treated.
Losing weight and maintaining the BMI within normal limits can also help in treatment as told by your doctor.
Take care.