Tubal ligation consult

Patient

Q: I went to a consult for tubal ligation and was told that I would be under general anesthesia and also received a bizarre pelvic exam in which I was told my uterus size was being felt by the doctors hand. Is that normal?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Current gynecological surgical guidelines require a pelvic exam to be conducted prior to surgery. Secondly tubal ligation is an invasive procedure which usually requires general anesthesia. The type of anesthesia can be altered based on the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and your personal risk factors.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com