Turned 46 and have not had a period for 68 days

Patient

Q: Hi, I have just turned 46 and have not had a period for 68 days, I have been tested for pregnancy, menopause, thyroid and anaemia, all of which were negative. Why have my periods stopped suddenly? when I rang the docs today for the results of the blood tests I was told everything ok and I do not need another appointment.

Doctor

A:   Irregular periods and lengthening of the the cycle could be an indication of approaching menopause. During the early perimenopausal stage, it is generally see that the cycle length decrease in length. Eventually, the cycle length widens and skipping menses typically occurs. The changes in the cycle length may be associated with heavier than normal flow followed by a lighter flow and occasional spotting in later perimenopause. A common reason for the late periods and prolonged bleeding is due to anovulation, which is ovulation without the egg being released. When this occurs, there is no signal to the body to cause a period. As irregular periods during menopause are related to low estrogen levels, the best way to overcome irregular periods is dealing with hormonal imbalance. The major types of treatment options include lifestyle changes and medical therapy. Irregular periods caused by fatigue, stress, and poor physical health should be corrected by adopting a healthy lifestyle. I hope this helps, I wish you well, take care.