Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > TVT and recurrent infections

TVT and recurrent infections

Patient: I recently had pyleonphritis , and was in hospital , i had intravenous antibiotics aswell as fluids . i self catheterise daily . I had a tvt op 2 years ago , and last year had the tvt loosened . is this likely to re occur , or is there something else that i could try . would more surgey be needed , and what happens if i dont use the catheters .

Doctor: You are at an increased risk of developing infections of the urinary tract (includes Kidneys and bladder) because of the fact that you use a catheters daily. If you stop using the catheters, there is a possibility that you will be unable to pass any urine at all. This can be quite a painful condition. It seems you have suffered one of the complications of TVT surgery in that you are having difficulty voiding since your procedure. There is the option of removing the TVT tape completely however your previous symptoms of urinary incontinence may recur. You should discuss this and other options with your surgeon.