x
156 Physicians Online

Question:

TVT sling surgery and sex

Hi I had a stress bladder and got a TVT sling put in 6 weeks ago. My Surgeon said we could have sex again after 5 wks. Is it normal that it hurts to have sex after that a TVT sling operation have been done? We have had intercourse twice and it's been uncomfortable both times, and after we had sex and I went to the toilet each time there has been a piece of green-blueish string about 1-1.5 cm long and about 2-3 mm thick is that normal is that the stitchers? Just want to now. no one told me there were any stichers to come out. Thank you for your answer.

Answer:

Pain during sexual intercourse is a recognized complication of the TVT sling procedure and is not normal. However, the string that you have mentioned is not a cause for concern. It is simply a part of the tension-free vaginal tape (TVT). You will need to see your surgeon to address your concerns about painful intercourse. I suggest that you see your doctor as soon as possible.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA