Twenty year old female student- history of kidney infections, lower chronic back pain

Patient

Q: Hello,

I am a 20 year old college student who is normally quite healthy. I have a history of pretty severe kidney infections and was hospitalized for them several times from age (7-11). The doctors were never able to pin the cause of my kidney infections, but theorized I would grow out of them and that they may have been my body's inability to handle exposure to certain bacterias in a near-by swimming lake. Unfortunately, in the past six months the dull ache has become more chronic and I am almost certain it is kidney related. I do have scarring on my right kidney; however, the pain I experience is both left and right, and usually not at the same time. Though it is a dull ache it is rather consuming and makes it difficult to focus. The past month the pain has been even greater, and I do not go a day without some form of it. I am an extremely busy student, and it seems stress does not help.

I am planning on seeing a local doctor, but as it is finals time do not have time to go to a specialist. For this reason I am nervous that an urgent care doctor may miss something. I know to remind them to check for any abnormalities in my bacteria or white blood cell levels at all, but I am still nervous. I do not know if past kidney infection patients usually experience this type of pain, or if it is normal or to be expected. I would appreciate some professional imput to determine how to manage my time with the doctor the next week or so.

Thanks,
Christine

Unfortunately, in the past six months the dull ache has become more chronic and I am almost certain it is kidney related. I do have scarring on my right kidney; however, the pain I experience is both left and right, and usually not at the same time. Though it is a dull ache it is rather consuming and makes it difficult to focus. The past month the pain has been even greater, and I do not go a day without some form of it. I am an extremely busy student, and it seems stress does not help.

Thanks,
Christine

Doctor