Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Two months after Meniscus tear grade 1

Two months after Meniscus tear grade 1

Patient: Hi Dear Ask Doctors I have injured my knee my MRI says that I have posterior horn of medial meniscus suggestive of grad 1 tear this was two months ago the pain is gone but if I try to do leg extension more then four or five time I feel pain in center of joint line my quads muscles are very weak i can feel my bone and when I’m setting and try to do calf exercises I put my hand on my knee I feel Like a rubbing sound and when my doctor twisted my ankle during mcmurray test it hurt in knee is it safe to walk on a posterior horn of medial meniscus suggestive of grad 1 tear thank you

Doctor: For your grade 1 meniscus tear we may expect a successful recovery and a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks wi ith a return to normal activity by 3 months. Most of grade 1 meniscus tears tend to heal spontaneously and with time and the physical therapy, the symptoms tend to improve. I recommend you that give more emphasis in the strengthening of the quads, also walking for 35-45 minutes at least 3 times a week. On the other hand, that rubbing sound might be due to a  chondromalacia patella or patello femoral syndrome that may be rule out as well. You should practice consistently a home exercise program. Some lifestyle changes may help to improve the symptoms: weight loss and exercise: Regular exercise may help you to strengthen the muscles, especially quads and also potentially stimulate cartilage growth and regeneration.