Two Nipples on Each Areola

Patient: I am 16 years old. I have 2 nipples on each areola. I have researched it online & found out it is called intra areolar polythelia. There is little to no information at all on this rare congenital malformation. Should I be concerned about this, or is it just something harmless?

Symptoms: 2 protruding nipples on each breast’s areola.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Polythelia, as you mentioned is a condition in which there are extra nipples. This is usu ally a benign process. That being said, it would be important to have your doctor examine you for any abnormal symptoms like discharge or bleeding from the nipples. If they are of a cosmetic concern to you, A plastic surgeon can surgically remove the smaller one for you with very minimal scarring. Once removed, the accessory nipple will be sent for pathology to ensure there is nothing of concern.Good luck!