Two years ago I hit my knee on a 2x4

Q: Two years ago I hit my knee on a 2x4 and the force of the hit broke the board in half. I heard a loud pop but I think it was the sound of the hit so I'm not sure if there were any other pops. Immediately after it swelled about twice the normal size and bruised i had difficulty bending my knee and walking but I could still move my leg and walk just with a limp. We didn't go to the hospital because we thought it was just deeply bruised and after a couple weeks the swelling went down and I didn't have any more problems with it. Two years down the road it started to really hurt. I hurt it again after i fell out of my dad's truck onto gravel from about 4 foot off the ground. Now it causes me pain everyday What is wrong with my knee?

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.

You seem to have developed from Knee ligament injury following the trauma that you had the following 2 years back. However, this can be unrelated also. We need to evaluate you for anterior or posterior cruciate ligament injury.
In such scenario, I would advise you to get MRI of Knee joint done. Also, you should get your Serum Calcium and Vitamin D levels.
For knee pain, I would advise you to do knee and quadriceps strengthening exercises which will strengthen your quadriceps muscles and will give support to your knee joint. Along with this, you should do hot fomentation of the knee.Apply diclofenac ointment locally if you have severe pain.
If any ligament injury is found on clinical examination and MRI, you would require to get arthroscopic repair of the ligament done.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy