Tylenol 3 in 1st Trimester?

Patient

Q: Is Tylenol 3 safe during the 1st trimester of pregnancy for chronic hip pain?

Doctor

A:   Tylenol 3 contains codeine and is considered unsafe and harmfull to the development of the fetus and fetal organs at all stages of pregnancy.

It is considered a last resort for the Management of chronic pain in pregnancy.

Patient: What would be safe? I am very worried as my OB took me off Tramadol and changed me to the Tylenol 3's.
Doctor: Tylenol is the safest medication. If it is not strong enough, your doctor may prescribe something stronger but all carry risks to the fetus.