Tylenol Overdose in Children

Patient

Q: My 10 year old very athletic boy woke up with a lot of sweat and was complaining of feeling cold, tired, and throat hurting. I gave him liquid Tylenol for fever and pain but instead of 12ML, I accidently miscounted and gave him an extra 10ML (22ML in total). Should I take him to the hospital?

Doctor

A:   It is unlikely that tylenol at that dose would cause side-effects. The usual recommended dose in children is 10-15 mg/kg/dose every 4-6 hours as needed; which should not exceed 5 doses in 24 hours. If you notice that your child has abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting, go to the ER right away.