Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Ulna fracture in a cast for ten weeks

Ulna fracture in a cast for ten weeks

Patient: Broke my unla clean been in cast for 10 weeks, how when can I start pullups and pushups and weight traning? Been traning with one arm. miss my pullups and pushups! I’m a long distance runner been running in my cast. I’m 62 years old a small woman thanks for the help!

Doctor: Isolated ulna fractures can most often be treated with a cast or fracture brace. Usually a period of immobilization will allow the bone to heal adequately. I am assuming that your fracture was isolated, uncomplicated, non-displaced and that’s why the treatment was by a cast for 10 weeks. According to the x-rays done in you follow up is up to your doctor decide when you will be able to begin to do again weight training depending on how well the bone has healed. Usually after the cast removal you should follow a Rehab protocol that includes Physical and Occupational therapy with the goal of restoring full range of motion and strength while maintaining independence in as much of your activities of daily living as is possible. In addition to undergoing supervised rehabilitation, you should be instructed in a home exercise program to be practiced daily and continued independently after the completion of rehabilitation. Your doctor ultimately will give you the clearance to begin training with weights.You also are at risk, by age, gender and complexion, of Osteoporosis, make sure that your bone calcium is adequeate.